A simple syrup for tea lovers, a fragrantly sweet addition to your home bar or kitchen. My go to for summer rum cocktails and whiskey sours. Choose your tea with the steeping times below!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Yield: 2 cups
2 cups (16 oz) water
2 cups of sugar; combination of 1 cup granulated + 1 cup demerara or raw sugar
1/2 cup honey
3 black tea teabags (other teas may be substituted with adjustment to temperature of steeping hot water)
1. Heat 2 cups of water to appropriate temperature, steep teabags in water for 3-4 minutes.
2. Remove tea bags from water, place water and sugars in medium saucepan.
3. Allow mixture to come to medium boil, stirring, for approximately 5 minutes.
4. Add honey and continue to boil for 2-3 minutes.
5. Let syrup cool, place in glass container and refrigerate .
6. Syrup will remain fresh in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Guidelines for heated water temperature for teas:
Black Tea: Steeping water temperature between 180-210 F
Green Tea: Lowest temperature or tea will become bitter, 150-180 F
Herbal Tea: Hottest temperature, full boil of 210 F